Problems with street signs and furniture

Street furniture refers to anything installed on a road or pavement, such as:

  • road signs and street nameplates
  • bus shelters and public benches
  • speed humps and line markings
  • utility cabinets

How to report a problem

If the problem is on a public street, road or highway, use our online form to report the problem.

Report a street sign or street furniture problem

Please be prepared to tell us the street name or pinpoint your location on a map so we can get to the location quickly.

If the problem is on a council estate, or on the outside of a council block, contact our Cleaning team by telephone on 020 8921 4661.

What happens next

Once we receive your report, we will inspect the problem within a few days.

We aim to complete repairs within 28 working days of the inspection. If it is an emergency, we will start work on the problem within 24 hours.

How to request new street furniture or signage

Requests for new signs or street furniture in your area, such as benches, seating or planters, can be made by email, telephone or in writing.

The service is usually free, but there is a charge for personalised street furniture such as commemorative benches.

On a public street

If the furniture is requested for a public street, road or highway, contact 020 8921 8900 or email

In a council estate 

If the road is on a council estate or road, contact the Royal Borough of Greenwich's Housing Services team on 020 8854 8888 or email

Main arterial route

If your request is about a main arterial route, please contact Transport for London's Street Management team.

Once you have placed a request, an engineer will assess the site and you will be advised of the outcome.

Report a street or road problem to TFL