Skip to main content

Exemption criteria

An unoccupied property that is held for a minister of religion is exempt from council tax. The exemption applies to a property held for a minister of any religious denomination as a residence from which to perform the duties of their office.

Exemption conditions

You must provide a letter from the diocese or relevant body confirming that the property is being held empty for occupation by a minister of religion. The letter must include details on what duties will be performed from the property.

How to apply

You need to download and complete the application form and send it to the address on the form.

Apply for an exemption on a property held for occupation by a minister of religion

Related discounts

Resident members of a religious community may qualify for a council tax discount for people in religious communities.