Discount for job-related accommodation
You may be able to get a 50% discount on your council tax if you live in job-related accommodation but are liable for council tax in another property.
The discount, if applicable, will be applied to your job-related accommodation.
Please note - This discount is not available unless both of your addresses are in England, Wales or Scotland.
Job-related accommodation is property provided to a person (and their spouse) for work in any of the following cases:
- it's necessary for the proper performance of the duties of the employment that the employee resides in the dwelling
- the dwelling is provided for the better performance of duties and it's customary for employers to provide dwellings to employees
- there's a special threat to the employee's security, special security arrangements are in force and the employee resides in the dwelling as part of those arrangements.
If the property is provided by a company and the employee is a director of that company or an associated company, then the first two bullet points above shall not apply unless one of the following is true:
- the employment is as a full-time working director
- the company is non-profit making and does not carry on a trade, nor do its functions consist wholly or mainly in the holding of investments or other property
- the company is established for charitable purposes only.
Please note - A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property. Discounts do not apply if at least two people over 18 who live in the same property are counted for council tax purposes. If after discounting occupants there remains only one occupant then a discount of 25% of the council tax bill may be given.
Please note - You must continue to pay council tax in accordance with your bill until your discount has been granted. Failure to do so may result in recovery action which could incur costs.
How to apply
To apply, you need to complete the form and return it with a letter from your employer stating the property is provided by them and explaining why it's necessary for you to live there. Send the form to the address on the form.
If the Royal Borough of Greenwich decides not to award a discount, you can appeal in the first instance to the Council Tax team within 28 days of notice of the decision stating your reasons. However you may not appeal against the amount of the discount.