Benefits for private tenants

If you rent your home from a private landlord and you have financial difficulties that are affecting your ability to pay your rent, you should speak to your landlord about it.

Housing Benefit

Whether you rent from a private landlord or a housing association you can claim Housing Benefit, even if you do not receive any other benefits.

You can also claim if you are a lodger, a sub-tenant or if you live in a hostel.

Housing Benefit is paid by the Council and is based on the level of rent, your income, savings and personal circumstances. Housing Benefit can be paid directly to your landlord.

Find out about Housing Benefits

Landlords with financial problems

If your landlord falls behind with their mortgage payments, you could find yourself faced with eviction. Most tenants are in a weak position if their landlord's lender wants to repossess the property.

If you think that repossession by your landlord's lender is a possibility, you should get legal advice immediately.

The Housing Aid Centre can offer advice and information on getting legal help and finding out about rehousing options.