How Local Housing Allowance is paid

In most cases Local Housing Allowance payments will be made directly to you and it will be your responsibility to pay your rent to your landlord.

If you are claiming benefit, we recommend that you have your benefit paid directly into your bank account as it is a quicker and secure method of payment.

If you do not already have a bank account you may need to open one.

Advice on opening a bank account (Money Advice Service website)

If you are already having your benefit paid to your landlord, this will continue until you stop claiming or move home.

Payments to your landlord

In certain circumstances we can pay benefit directly to your landlord. This could be arranged if you are not able to manage your own financial affairs due to, for example, mental illness or severe learning difficulties.

In these circumstances we will require a written request and proof from the customer or their representative.

We can also consider past situations where we were required by law to pay direct to a landlord (for example, where a claimant had eight weeks or more of rent arrears).

For more details on Local Housing Allowance payments to your landlord read our Safeguards for Tenants and Landlords Policy