If you are subject to immigration control, you may have no recourse to public funds (NRPF). This means you cannot claim public funds such as non-work-related welfare benefits and housing support.

Migrant support agencies offer free legal advice and support to help you understand your rights and find support options. Download our leaflet to find resources if you cannot access public funds.

You can also get benefits, debt, housing and immigration advice at our advice hubs

In Royal Greenwich, we’re committed to promoting the rights of people seeking sanctuary in Greenwich and want everyone to feel supported and welcome.

How we work with a Home Office Link Worker

When you contact us to get support, we need to check your immigration status to see if you are eligible for public funds or can get support from the NRPF Team.

To do this, we work with a Home Office Link Worker who will check Home Office records. We may also ask the Link Worker to speed up decisions when it seems likely that someone may be granted leave to remain.

We will always ask for your permission before we ask our Home Office Link Worker to do any checks. We will first ask for your permission during the initial referral process. If the NRPF Team accepts your referral, you will be asked to sign a consent form to agree for us to contact relevant agencies including the Home Office, as part of the assessment process.

The Link Worker does not have face to face contact with Greenwich residents and does not have access to our systems. The Link Worker will only have face to face contact with a resident in exceptional circumstances when there is a concern that it may be an unaccompanied asylum seeking child that needs support.

Read about our policy to support refugees, asylum seekers and migrants and our plans to become a Borough of Sanctuary.