Skip to main content

Support for care leavers

Specialist social workers, personal advisers, group workers, and employment advisers offer a range of support.

They also have links with other services for young people and can point you to relevant support.

Your rights as a care leaver

You can ask for someone to speak up for and represent you.

If you would like a professional advocate to speak on your behalf, contact Barnardo's Children's Advocacy Service.

Our Local Offer to care leavers

If you've leaving care or have left care, we still want to make sure that you feel safe and supported and know where and who to go to for help.

Download a leaflet to find support in Royal Greenwich for care leavers

16 to 18 and leaving care?

If you are aged 16 to 18 and looked after by Children's Services, your allocated social worker will continue to provide the key care-planning role until you reach the age of 18.

You are also entitled to:

  • continued support from a social worker
  • accommodation support
  • a needs assessment
  • a care plan

18 to 24 and leaving care?

If you are aged 18 to 21 (24 if in you're higher education) and leaving care you are entitled to:

  • remain in touch
  • review your care plan
  • a personal adviser
  • assistance with employment
  • education or training
  • assistance in general

Care leavers and Council Tax

Care leavers may not have to pay Council Tax until the day before their 25th birthday.

If you qualify, you do not need to apply as we'll automatically apply the discount.

Free prescriptions for care leavers

As a RBG care leaver, you are entitled to free prescriptions.

This can help remove barriers to accessing medication when you need it. 

Who can get free prescriptions

The offer is available to all Care Leavers, including those who are: 

  • working or studying
  • asylum seekers
  • now living out of area but are eligible for Leaving Care services

To get free prescriptions you need to:

  • be aged 18 to 25 years old
  • be a Care Leaver from Royal Borough of Greenwich
  • not already be eligible for other free prescription schemes. For example if you're eligible as you're on benefits, have maternity or medical exemptions or entitled to the NHS Low Income Scheme (HC2/HC3)

How to apply

To apply you can either self refer or ask your Personal Advisor to refer you. 

If you have any questions or need help to access free prescriptions, speak to your allocated Personal Advisor or Leaving Care Service Duty Line by calling 020 8921 8708.