Housing repair service

We are running a reduced housing repairs service until Wednesday 29 May due to industrial action. We will deal with emergencies as normal but may contact you to reschedule pre-booked appointments.

What happens after an initial child and family assessment?

After meeting with you and your child and assessing any other relevant information, the social worker can decide what help you need. We may recommend our services or services from other professionals to you.

The social worker will give you a written copy of the decisions made following the assessment and, if relevant, a copy of the action plan that recommends what services should be provided.

What services will be arranged?

Children's Services provides a number of options for supporting families in resolving the difficulties they may be facing with their children. These can include one-to-one work with parents and children and group work at our Children in Need Centres.

Staff at our centres may be able to offer specific help around issues such as drug misuse. They can also help families to get together to work out what is best for the child. Children's Services may also request involvement from other professionals, for example child guidance or the health services.

Help where it is needed most

There are many more people needing services than there are services available, so we must make decisions based on the most urgent cases. This means that you might not get the services you prefer for the amount of time that you would like. However, we will always try to find alternatives where possible.

Serious risks

If we become aware of possible serious risks to the welfare of your child during the initial assessment, it will be necessary to conduct a more in-depth assessment called a core assessment. This is part of the child protection enquiry process.