What to do if you disagree with your food hygiene inspection

If you have addressed concerns raised during an inspection, you can request a re-inspection to improve your rating. If you think your business has been given an incorrect food hygiene rating, you can appeal. You can also respond to the result of an inspection so your comments are noted on the Food Standards Agency website.


If your business makes improvements to hygiene standards and you want a new food hygiene rating, you can request a re-rating inspection to be carried out.

To apply, you will need to complete the online form and pay a non-refundable fee. It is recommended that you contact health@royalgreenwich.gov.uk to discuss your application prior to completing the form to ensure that applying for a re-rating visit is the best course of action for you and your business.

When completing the online form, please explain in detail what actions you have taken on the issues raised at your last inspection.

The re-rating visit will be unannounced and carried out within 3 months of receipt of your request. Please be aware that your rating could go up, down or stay the same as a result of the re-rating visit depending upon conditions found at the time of that visit.

A re-inspection costs £317.00

Complete the food hygiene rating re-inspection request form


You can appeal if you think your hygiene rating is wrong and doesn't reflect the hygiene standards found at the time of your inspection.

You must lodge your appeal with the Royal Borough of Greenwich within 21 days of receiving your hygiene rating. This includes weekends and bank holidays.

Complete the food hygiene rating appeal form

Right to reply

In some cases you may wish to explain your rating to your customers, if:

  • you've improved hygiene standards since your inspection
  • there were unusual circumstances at the time of the inspection.

This is known as the 'right to reply'.

When you submit a 'right to reply' request, the Food Safety Manager will review and edit your comments. Your comments will then be published, along with your food hygiene rating (Food Standards Agency website).

Download the food hygiene rating 'right to reply' form