For a safe and healthy workplace
The law places specific responsibilities for managing health and safety on employers and employees. Here's a broad outline of how this applies to employers.
As an employer, you have a legal duty to provide a safe and healthy workplace. This includes:
- a safe system of work
- a safe place of work
- safe equipment, plant and machinery
- carrying out risk assessments, and taking steps to eliminate or control these risks
- informing employees fully about all potential hazards associated with any work process, chemical
- substance or activity, including providing instruction, training and supervision
- providing adequate facilities for employees' welfare at work
- reporting any accidents and ill health at work.
If your workplace has cooling towers or evaporative condensers installed, you need to get them registered.
If you need further information, the appropriate enforcing authority - either your local council or the Health and Safety Executive - will be able to help.
For information about workplace fire regulations, please visit the London Fire Brigade website.