Registering a mail-forwarding business

If you operate a business that offers clients a virtual office, an accommodation address, or mail forwarding (or holding) services and are based in the Royal Borough of Greenwich you need to be registered with us.

Identification and proof of address

These legal controls were introduced under the London Local Authorities Act 2007. Relevant businesses must keep records of all clients who use their services, together with copies of their identification and proof of address.

You can use the following documents show your identity and proof of address. Two documents - one from each list - are required.

Photo identification - Proof of identity

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (with photocard)
  • National Identity Card
  • HM Forces identity card
  • Current student card
  • Employment identification card
  • Disabled drivers' Blue Badge.

Proof of address (provided both name and address is shown)

  • Gas or electricity bill
  • Telephone bill
  • Water bill
  • Mortgage statement
  • Council Tax bill
  • Bank or building society statement (including credit card or store card bills)
  • TV licence
  • Valid insurance certificate
  • Payslip
  • P45 or P60 statement
  • Financial statement, for example of a pension or endowment
  • Current benefit book
  • Benefits agency letter
  • HM Revenue and Customs Coding Notice
  • Student hall of residence agreement or other proof of accommodation.

Failing to register or keep records as required or making false entries could result in a maximum fine of £5,000. 

Applying for registration

Please download and complete an application form and return it along with the one-off registration fee of £110.32. We'll issue a certificate of registration on receipt of the application.

Mail-forwarding business application form