Whilst the council can take action against those who repeatedly make unreasonable noise that impacts on their neighbours' enjoyment of their homes, there are some day to day noises that are heard due to people living in close proximity to one another. Examples would include foot steps and noise from washing machines and vacuum cleaners. In these instances it may require more understanding and patience rather than formal action or intervention by the council.

Likewise, you should also consider how activities may impact on those around you.

Some common examples of noise problems are included below along with some guidance from our Community Protection Team.

DIY noise

Some people may choose to complete those DIY tasks that they have been meaning to get around to. Whilst you may enjoy putting your time at home to good use, your neighbours will not enjoy long periods of drilling, sawing or hammering. Be considerate by only carrying out noisy DIY between 8am and 6pm, from Monday to Friday, and 10am to 3pm on Saturday. We discourage the use of power tools on Sunday. Try to not to use noisy power tools for more than three hours a day.

Entertainment noise

You may want to catch up with your favourite box set or listen to your favourite artists. Be considerate by keeping the volume to a reasonable level that cannot be heard outside your home. It helps to keep the windows closed or use headphones.

Construction noise

The construction site next door or opposite your home might be finished for the day when you return home from work, but now you're home during the day you might hear the work taking place on the site. Construction work is inherently noisy but as long as the site is managed well, keeps to the hours of 8am to 6pm (for noise generating work), and locates noisy activities as far away from neighbours as is reasonably practicable, they are working within the terms of the law and their planning conditions.

Children playing

If you are a parent please do your best to ensure that play activities do not disturb your neighbours. This is particularly important advice when you have people living above or below you.

How we can help

You can report ongoing noise by calling 0208 921 8166.

In many instances, you will be offered advice and we will try to resolve the problem by writing to those making the noise. We risk assess reports of noise and prioritise complaints where more than one neighbouring address is affected.

The hours of service are:

Monday to Wednesday

8.00am to 5:30pm

Thursday to Sunday

8.00am to 2:00am

If you call is not answered using 020 8921 8166 please try 020 8921 8921.

The service is under constant review and we are now using the Noise App as an additional investigative tool for complaints. The Noise App simplifies reporting and allows users to submit recordings.

If you have an existing noise complaint, you will be referred to the app following a technical assessment of your case. Please contact the Community Protection Team before using the app. 

If you have not submitted a noise complaint, you should contact us to raise a complaint case.

Make a noise complaint