Permissions to carry out works to a listed building

It is a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building without prior listed building consent - even if you did not know that the building was listed.

There are two types of permissions:

  • Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Works to a Listed Building - if the proposed works will not affect the character of the listed building, you may apply for a lawfulness certificate.
  • Listed Building Consent - you will need Listed Building Consent for any alteration or extension that will affect the character of a listed building or if you wish to demolish a listed building.

If you are not sure which type of permission to apply for, seek advice with the Royal Borough.

Read the following to find out more about certificates of lawfulness and Listed Building Consent including examples of works that would affect the character of a building.