Current and proposed directions

Local planning authorities use Article 4 directions to remove specific permitted development rights in all or parts of a local authority's area.

When permitted development rights are removed in a local area, anyone wishing to carry out the described development will need to submit a planning application.

Please note: Article 4 directions do not apply retrospectively to permitted development already undertaken.

Current Article 4 directions

Many of the Article 4 directions currently in place in Greenwich relate to conservation areas.

Change of Use from Office (B1(a)) to Residential Dwelling House (C3)

In 2013, the Government introduced a new permitted development right to allow the change from B1(a) use (office) to C3 use (residential).

However, Royal Greenwich withdrew this permitted development right from some buildings on Greenwich Peninsula. This means you need planning permission to convert an office to a home.

Change of Use from Residential Dwelling House (C3) to House in Multiple Occupation (C4)

In September 2017, Royal Greenwich made a non-immediate Article 4 direction to withdraw this permitted development right across the whole of Royal Greenwich. This was confirmed and came into force on 27 September 2018.

This means that you need planning permission to convert a house into a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO).

The Royal Borough also operates a licensing scheme for HMOs.