Having problems paying your council housing charges?

No council tenant will be evicted during the pandemic as a result of arrears accrued in relation to coronavirus.  

It is important that you tell us immediately if you have any problems paying your council housing rent and charges on time, whatever the reason.

Call 020 8854 8888 and ask for your income officer, or email income-business-support@royalgreenwich.gov.uk.

Check your housing rent account

Rent collection

Tenants who can still pay must continue to do so.

If you are experiencing challenging financial circumstances, contact us straight away. We will renegotiate payment plans and offer empathy and leniency if you're struggling to pay your rent.  

Rent charges are not being waived or removed and will need to be made up if missed, usually through a payment plan.

Court cases and evictions are due to restart in the coming months for tenants who have repeatedly failed to pay without a valid reason. You will be notified if your case is due to be heard in court.

Email us at rent-account-enquiries@royalgreenwich.gov.uk. We are working through urgent matters first so please bear with us if you have a routine or non-urgent enquiry. 

You can still make a payment by:  

  • standing order 
  • Direct Debit 
  • using our online payment system  
  • telephone 

Find out more about paying your council housing charges

Universal Credit and other benefits for council tenants

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Universal Credit which may include financial support to help with your housing costs. Find out more about Universal Credit and how we can support you with your claim.

Some benefits are being replaced by Universal Credit. To check if you're eligible to claim benefits, you can use the GOV.UK benefits calculators.

Find out about other benefits and hardship support available from the Royal Borough of Greenwich during the COVID-19 pandemic.