The Freedom of Information Act

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000 gives you the right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities. The aim is to promote a spirit of openness and transparency.

Your right to know

Since January 2005, any person who makes a request to us in writing (including email) for information has the right to be told whether or not we have that information and a right to see it.

You can make a request for any information you would like to have, though there are some types of information that are exempt from disclosure.

Before you make a request

A lot of information is available on our website and this is explained in our publication scheme. The information we make available includes the following and more:

  • How the council is organised
  • Business rates
  • Financial information
  • Committee papers
  • Policies
  • Performance data
  • Public Health funerals.

Before making a formal request for information, it is worth checking our publication scheme as the information required may already be available. If you cannot find the information you require after searching these areas, you may have to submit a request for information.

Information that the Royal Borough of Greenwich routinely publishes is listed in the Freedom of Information Publication Scheme.

How do I make a request?

To make a request for information you must contact us in writing (this includes email) and you should give your name, an address for correspondence (this includes an email address) and outline the information requested.

When sending an email, please add a title in the subject line. If there's no title, the email may not reach us. Send your email to with 'Freedom of Information request' in the subject line.

We will let you know, in writing, whether the information you have requested is available. If it is, the information will be sent to you.

How long will it take?

The Freedom of Information Act allows the council 20 working days to deal with a request for information.

What if I am not happy with the council's response?

You have a right to appeal. More information is available here.