Latest business updates
- Business e-alert Friday 3 April
- Business e-alert Tuesday 31 March
- Business e-alert Monday 30 March
- Business e-alert Friday 27 March
- Business e-alert special: Mental health and wellbeing Friday 27 March
- Business e-alert Monday 23 March
COVID-19: support for businesses
For specific information about the Government's grant fund scheme please click here.
Local and national reports are being received of:
- trading in contrary to directions to close
- sale of goods not in line with either safety or manufacturer requirements
- unreasonable price hiking
We are monitoring such reports, and as far is possible, will intervene to protect public safety and the rights of consumers. We will work the Police and other agencies as is necessary.
Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
The government has announced a new package of support to businesses to avoid making redundancies. The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is open to all UK employers. HMRC will reimburse 80% of furloughed workers wage costs, up to a cap of £2,500 per month. HMRC is working urgently to set up a system for reimbursement.
Support for self-employed
Following the Chancellor's announcement, self-employed people may receive 80% of a their average profits of the last three years, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for the next three months. For full details of this scheme visit the Government business support website. You can find FAQs here.
If you need employment advice – please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your queries and will provide or signpost to the right information, advice and guidance.