Skip to main content

Marriage and civil partnership law requires the couple to attend an interview in person in the Register Office in the borough where they reside to give notice before the marriage or civil partnership may take place.  

You must be 18 years old or older to marry or enter into a civil partnership or give notice to do so.

Please call the Contact Centre on 0208 921 5015 to make an appointment. 

Notice appointments are usually fully booked for up to 6 weeks. There must be at least 28/70* days between giving notice and date of marriage/civil partnership (*dependent on immigration status) 

The notice is valid for one year.

A fee of £70/£94* per couple is payable on booking the appointment.

If either you or your partner are not a British or Irish national, and do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain, pre settled or settled status, or a marriage or civil partnership visa, the fee is £94 per couple. 

When you give notice, you must know the licenced venue in which you want to marry or form a civil partnership; the notice is only valid for the specific venue recorded on the notice.  

See our list of licensed venues in the Royal Borough of Greenwich

Enquiries regarding availability of and fees for venues should be made directly to the venue.

You must also know whether you want to have a marriage or a civil partnership. Once the notice is given, it is only valid for the type of ceremony you have chosen. If you would like more information on the differences between a marriage and a civil partnership, please visit GOV.UK for the Government's advice.

You may also need to give notice in the UK if you plan to marry or form a civil partnership abroad.

If you are visiting England to marry or form a civil partnership, you may need to apply for a marriage visa.

In order to give notice, you must provide proof of the following: 

  • Name 

  • Date of birth 

  • Address 

  • Nationality 

Freedom to marry/enter a civil partnership if you have been previously married or in a civil partnership. 

If either you or your partner have been previously married or in a previous civil partnership, you will need your original final divorce or dissolution papers with the court's original stamp. 

If any documents are not in English, you must provide a complete translation including any court stamps as well as the original documents. The translation must be signed and dated by the person providing the translation and include their contact details; any third party can provide the translation. 

There are fees, paid to the General Register Office, for the clearance of some divorce/dissolution documents; where applicable fees are paid at the Notice appointment. 

There is no fee for dissolution / divorce which took place in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man 

For dissolution / divorce which took place elsewhere there is a fee of £50 for the Register Office to check your documents or £75 if the General Register Office needs to check them. 

You will be advised at your notice appointment which fee applies to the dissolution / divorce documents you present 

If you have previously changed your name, you must provide proof of the change of name. 

Passport quality photographs for both parties are required for persons subject to Immigration control, including those with a visa for the purpose of marriage or civil partnership 

Additional information on marriage and civil partnership including ceremonies which take place in a religious premises can be found here.

If you attend your Notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership appointment and you do not have all the required documentation and/or your Notice cannot be taken for any reason including not knowing where your ceremony is to take place, the Registrar has the right to cancel your appointment and you will not be refunded. You will then need to re-book your Notice and pay the required fee.