Skip to main content

Types of civil partnership ceremony

There are two types of civil partnership ceremony:

  • civil partnership at religious places of worship
  • civil partnership at venues licensed to hold civil partnership ceremonies, including the register office.  

Request a Registrar for a marriage or civil partnership ceremony

Civil partnerships at places of worship

There are currently no licensed places of worship within Royal Greenwich for civil partnership ceremonies.

The place of worship where you wish to have your marriage will confirm if it's applied for and been granted a licence.

If you wish to have a civil partnership at a place of worship outside of Royal Greenwich and you live in the borough, you'll still need to let us know.

Opposite sex civil partnerships

We are now taking bookings for civil partnerships for opposite sex couples.

The Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration Etc.) Act received Royal Assent on 26 March 2019. It extends eligibility for forming a civil partnership to opposite sex couples.

The earliest date for giving a notice of the intended formation of a civil partnership will be 2 December 2019 (Notice is given for a period of 28 days after which the formation can take place. In certain cases, depending on immigration status, this may be extended to 70 days). The first opposite sex civil partnerships can take place from 31 December 2019.

You do not need to have a ceremony for a civil partnership, you can choose to sign the schedule in front of two qualified witnesses by booking a statutory ceremony appointment (subject to availability).

If you wish to have a full ceremony, you will need to book a venue and registrars ahead of booking an appointment to give your legal notice of intention.

If you wish to have a civil partnership ceremony in The Edwardian Room or any of the approved venues in the Royal Borough of Greenwich visit our Register office charges page

Booking your civil ceremony

A civil partnership can take place at an approved venue of your choice in or outside of the borough, or at the register office here in Royal Greenwich or one outside the borough. 

Please allow as much time as possible to plan your civil partnership and to clear the legal processes. It's important that before booking your date you confirm with the superintendent registrar that you can complete the legal process in time for your ceremony.

For register office ceremonies, your booking includes booking of the superintendent registrar. Should you choose to use a licensed venue, you should coordinate both the availability of the venue and that of the registrar separately. You shouldn't send your invitations until you have confirmation of both the venue and the superintendent registrar's availability.

In a civil ceremony none of the music, readings, words or performance that form the ceremony can be religious in nature. The content of the ceremony must be agreed in advance with the superintendent registrar attending the ceremony.

The minimum legal age to form a civil partnership in England and Wales is 16. However, written consent may be required for anyone under 18. Registration officers have a duty to report any marriage or civil partnership that they suspect has been arranged solely to avoid immigration controls.

Royal Greenwich Register Office

Civil partnership ceremonies last up to 30 minutes and they take place in our ceremony room.

If you wish to choose your own music, you may bring your own CD. You may wish to say extra vows to one another or ask a guest to give a reading.

The statutory fee of a register office ceremony is £46 and £11 for a civil partnership certificate.

Our registrars service will provide you with written confirmation of your booking.

View a list of our register office fees

Approved premises in Greenwich

Royal Greenwich has many beautiful and historical venues where you can hold your civil partnership ceremony.

View our list of approved licensed venues within Royal Greenwich

Converting a partnership to a marriage

Civil partners can convert their partnership to a marriage if they wish.

Find out how to convert a civil partnership to a marriage