Make an appointment

Updated 16 April 2021

Birth appointments for babies born in Royal Greenwich can be arranged by calling our Contact Centre on 020 8921 5015/6. We are now offering appointments and in the interim parents can claim child benefit and universal credit without a birth certificate (if applicable).

Who can register a birth

If the mother and father are married, either parent can register the birth on their own.

If the mother and the father aren't married and one of the parents can't go to register the birth, the absent parent must complete a statutory declaration of parentage form (Gov.UK).

You must get the form witnessed by a solicitor, a justice of the peace or a magistrate and then present it to the registrar at the registration.

If both parents are female, either parent can register the birth if the partners were in a civil partnership at the time of fertility treatment and both consented to treatment.

If the parents are both female and were not in a civil partnership but have a 'legal parenthood agreement', both parents need to attend the registration.

What happens next

If you want to buy a full birth certificate at the time of registration, it'll cost £11 for each copy.

If you want to buy additional copies of the full birth certificate after the registration, it'll cost £11 for each copy.

Request a copy of a birth certificate