How to apply for copy certificates
We encourage you to apply for a replacement or copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate directly from the General Register Office and not from the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Apply for copy certificates from the General Register Office
You should apply for copy birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates directly from the General Register Office if:
- the birth or death took place over six months ago
- the marriage or civil partnership took place more than 18 months ago.
Apply for copy certificates from Royal Borough of Greenwich
If you do need to apply to Royal Borough of Greenwich for a certificate, the cost is:
- £11 for the standard five-day service
- £35 for the express 24-hour service.
- £50 for the same day service (collection from Woolwich Town Hall only)
Please add £2.24 if you would like the copy certificate sent to you by registered post. You may also choose to collect the certificate from Woolwich Town Hall.
Please be advised that if we are unable to locate your copy certificate request we will retain £11.00 for a search/admin fee.
Payment can be made by debit or credit card.
Please call the Register Office to apply, or complete the relevant application form and hand it in with your payment to the Register Office at Woolwich Town Hall.