East Greenwich Pleasaunce
- East Greenwich Pleasaunce
East Greenwich Pleasaunce is one of Greenwich's Green Flag Award-winning sites.
A formal, tree-lined garden, it is a quiet haven that contains a burial ground for around 3,000 sailors who spent their last days at the local Royal Hospital Greenwich.
The Bridge is a voluntary run children's play centre based in the park.
There is a children's playground, table tennis and a cafe serving refreshments and providing toilet facilities.
- Map reference
- The trees on display include: Mock orange, hawthorn, silver birch, ash, variegated holly, walnut, poplar, weeping birch
East Greenwich Pleasaunce has retained the Green Flag award.
- Sports and play areas
- 020 8856 0100
- Access information
- Wheelchair access is available.
- Further information
The naval cemetery within the Pleasaunce is a window to the maritime past. With the Royal Hospital Greenwich graveyard judged to be full in the 1840s, the Royal Navy needed a new burial site. A long search for land followed, until, in 1857, the admiralty bought an orchard in east Greenwich for use as the new cemetery.
In 1875, the remains of 3,000 naval pensioners were moved from central Greenwich to this new cemetery. This was to make way for the construction of a railway tunnel. In 1926, the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich (a predecessor of the Royal Borough of Greenwich) acquired the site. The name 'Pleasaunce' came into use shortly after, when the site opened as a public park.
Visitors to the East Greenwich Pleasaunce can see a plaque on the wall describing how the remains were moved.
See the grass cuttings for this park at https://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/grasscuttings
- Friends of Park website