- What we do
The Corporate Debt Team raise sundry debts for the Royal Borough which include but are not limited to, commercial and industrial rents, licensing fees, market rents and social care charges.
The team are also responsible for agreeing repayment arrangements, setting Direct Debits and recovering unpaid debts using all recovery and enforcement options available.
- Why we need your information and how we use it
The Corporate Debt Service supports other Royal Borough services with the recovery of funds due, as part of the provision of these services.
Examples of why funds may be due include, but are not limited to, contractual or statutory obligations, fines and court orders.
The specific lawful basis for processing is the same as the service with which you incurred the debt.
The information you provide us with will be used to undertake the following:
- assist you with managing the repayment of your invoice/s
- enable us to communicate with you effectively
- help us develop and improve our services
- enable us to provide support and guidance if you are experiencing financial difficulties
- determine the most appropriate recovery and enforcement options if payment is not made
- What type of information we collect
To effectively and efficiently manage your invoice/s we collect the following information:
- email address
- contact number
- bank details (where a Direct Debit is set to collect instalment payments)
- details from publicly available records
- DOB (from other RBG systems, publicly available records, financial checks)
- data concerning health (special category) – We may add notes on debt account if you have a health condition that we need to be aware of to assist you when recovering your debt.
- Financial information including bank details, financial links and CCJs
- Any other data that is on the system records of the service to which the debt belongs.
- Who we may share your information with
Your data may be shared with the following:
- internal departments
- other local authorities
- Debt Collection Agents (should recovery action be necessary to recover your debt)
- External solicitors (should recovery action be necessary to recover your debt)
- other third-party organisations, as allowed by law
- other partner agencies that provide services on our behalf, for the purpose of providing these services on behalf of the Council
- agencies with whom we have a duty to co-operate, such as police
- How long we keep your information
The Corporate Debt Team does not retain personal data for longer than necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected and to provide evidence of transactions for audits and related purposes.
Data is retained by the Council services where your debt originated in line with that service’s privacy notice.