Greenwich and Woolwich Foot Tunnels
The Royal Borough's two foot tunnels at Greenwich and Woolwich are used by 1.5 million people a year (around 1.2 million in Greenwich and 300,000 in Woolwich).
The foot tunnels provide pedestrian links across the river.
- Greenwich Foot Tunnel links Cutty Sark to Island Gardens, Tower Hamlets.
- Woolwich Foot Tunnel links Woolwich to North Woolwich, Newham.
Opening times and access
Please note, the south lift at Greenwich foot tunnel is now working again following essential repairs. Following a complex five-year refit, both tunnels have been restored to full operational use.
Lifts will be closed during planned maintenance works on the days shown in the table below.
|Tuesday 18 November 2014||8pm to 10pm||Greenwich Foot Tunnel north and south lifts|
|Thursday 20 November 2014||8pm to 10pm||Woolwich Foot Tunnel north and south lifts|
The tunnels will remain open with access via the stairs during the routine maintenance works.
- Both foot tunnels are open 24 hours daily.
- You can access the tunnels by stairs or the lift at each entrance.
- Cyclists must dismount when using the tunnels.
- For safety and security, CCTV monitoring is in operation throughout the tunnels, stairs and lifts.
Report a problem
- If there is an emergency requiring the emergency services, please call 999.
- Help points are provided within the tunnels. These are monitored 24 hours daily.
- If you notice a fault when using either tunnel - such as lift not working - please report it to us. We monitor these reports during normal working hours.
- If the problem needs our urgent attention - for example if there is a safety risk - please call 020 8854 8888.
Foot tunnel rules
The foot tunnels are there for the convenience and enjoyment of all. In order to promote this, the following bye-laws are in effect. Signs inside and outside the tunnels indicate the restrictions.
- Cyclists and skateboarders need to dismount when travelling across the foot tunnels. This is for the wellbeing of everyone.
- Photography is banned in both the Greenwich and Woolwich Foot Tunnels. Flash photography can trigger adverse effects to those who suffer from epilepsy and related medical conditions. Commercial photography and filming may take place in the tunnels subject to obtaining the appropriate licence from the Greenwich Film Unit.
- Busking is not permitted within the tunnels.
- Dogs are allowed to be walked through the foot tunnels. Please keep dogs on a lead.
Data from lifts
The Royal Borough of Greenwich collects data of tunnel usage and lift reliability. Now that all lifts have been fitted, the reliability data will be available in due course.
Pages in Foot tunnels
- You are here: Greenwich and Woolwich Foot Tunnels
- History of the foot tunnels