Home improvement assistance for private landlords

Grants and home improvement services for landlords

As a landlord you are responsible for keeping your property in good order for your tenants. The Royal Borough of Greenwich expects you to meet your responsibilities, and we have powers to take action against those landlords that fail to do so.

However, the Royal Borough recognises that in some cases it is appropriate to give private landlords some financial help towards carrying out repairs and improvements.

There are several types of help that we may be able to offer to private landlords.

Grants to owners of empty properties

If you own a property in Royal Greenwich that is unoccupied you may be able to get help with repairs and improvements. To be eligible you must be willing to either:

  • lease your property to us for a period of three years
  • or accept tenants we find for you and let the property in line with our Private Landlord Scheme for at least three years - you will need to be willing to charge rents in line with the maximum that is eligible for Housing Benefit.

This help is only available if the property is needed for tenants under our Royal Greenwich Landlord Scheme. The size, type and location of the properties that we need many change from time to time.

How much is available?

We can offer a grant of up to £15,000 for each unit of accommodation (house or flat).

Grants may also be available for properties that are to be let as an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation). Contact us for more information.

Read the Grants to owners of empty properties leaflet

How to apply

Contact the Disability and Home Improvement team or complete our online enquiry form:

Apply for a private landlord home improvement grant

Handyperson service for landlords

Our popular Handyperson Service is now available to landlords of properties within Royal Greenwich.

The Handyperson Service can carry out a range of minor repairs at subsidised cost.

You can use the service if you are a private landlord and have tenants in your property that have been nominated by the Royal Borough under our Royal Greenwich Landlord Scheme.

To apply, contact the Disability and Home Improvement team.

Read the Handyperson service for landlords leaflet

Royal Greenwich Landlord Scheme

Some of the grants and services listed on this page require the property to be rented under the Royal Greenwich Landlord Scheme.

Find out more about the Royal Greenwich Landlord Scheme

Contact the Disability and Home Improvement team

For more details of our terms and conditions and to apply for help contact us.

020 8921 2614