Late-night refreshment

Licensing under the Licensing Act 2003

You need a premises licence from the Royal Borough of Greenwich in order to:

  • sell alcohol
  • supply alcohol at a club
  • provide regulated entertainment
  • provide facilities for regulated entertainment
  • provide refreshments between 11pm and 5am.

Additionally, all sales of alcohol must be made by, or under the authority of, a personal licence holder.

Also, if you are applying for a premises licence that includes consent to supply or sell alcohol, you must appoint a designated premises supervisor (DPS). This person must also be a personal licence holder.


You do not need a premises licence if:

  • you are holding a certain type of one-off or occasional event. In this case, you need a temporary event notice
  • your establishment is a qualifying club (members' club). In this case you need to obtain a club premises certificate
  • you provide refreshments between 11pm and 5am and fall into an exempt category.

How long does a premises licence last?

A premises licence lasts for the lifetime of the business, unless you apply for a licence for a shorter period.

Contact Licensing

Fourth floor, The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
Woolwich SE18 6HQ

020 8921 8018/8374

020 8921 8380