How to complain about a councillor

Councillors must follow a code of conduct. The code seeks to ensure that councillors observe high standards of conduct which are consistent with the principles of conduct in public life, namely selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.

The code also requires councillors to register and disclose their financial and non-financial interests. The code is part of the Royal Borough's constitution.

Download the councillors' code of conduct

If you want to complain about a councillor who has not complied with the code, you should write to the Chief Executive:

The Chief Executive
Royal Borough of Greenwich Town Hall
Wellington Street
SE18 6PW

If a complaint involves a potential breach of the code, and it merits an investigation, it will be referred to the Head of Law and Governance.

Download the full procedure for dealing with complaints about councillors

Independent Person

The law requires the Royal Borough to appoint an Independent Person, and must have regard to their view after any investigation and before reaching a decision on a complaint.

Find out more information about the Independent Person

Standards Committee

The Royal Borough has established a Standards Committee. Its role is to promote high standards of conduct and to deal with complaints about councillors who have not complied with the code.

Find out more information about the Standards Committee

Download: Council members' allowances and expenses

Details of council members' allowances and expenses

Contact the Chair of the Standards Committee

C/o The Monitoring Officer,
Law and Governance,
The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
Woolwich SE18 6HQ

Contact the Chief Executive

Woolwich Town Hall,
Wellington Street,
Woolwich SE18 6PW

020 8854 8888

020 8921 5943