Street parties

Advice on street parties

This information covers both street parties and community events. It covers events that:

  • are organised by residents and neighbours for residents and neighbours
  • are publicised just for residents, not for the general public
  • don't need a licence (if you are unsure, see the paragraph on licensing below).

Costs of registering a street party

There is no charge to register a street party celebrating a national event, but for other events charges may apply if a road closure is required.

Register a street party

Planning your street party

Before you start organising the party, here's what you need to know:

Where to hold your street party

Usually a street party is in your street but it could be held on a grass area or even in a community hall. The main thing is that everyone in your street is invited.

When you are choosing where to hold your event please consider, as far as possible, places that will not affect access for buses and emergency vehicles.

Let us know if you would like your road to be closed to traffic - charges may apply if a road closure is necessary. Closing off a road does not give you the right to stop pedestrians passing through.

It is normally fine to make your own road closure signs, as long as they are clear and visible to everyone. Please get in touch with us for advice. 

Timing a street party

You can start the party whenever you want during the day.

You should let all residents know what time you intend to start and finish the party and take their comments into consideration.

We recommend finishing by 9pm to minimise noise.

Licensing street parties

Most small street parties do not need a licence. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence.

If you are playing live or recorded music at a private party for residents, you will not need a licence if the music is not advertised in advance to attract people and you are not making money. However, you will need to think about noise levels and make sure that the entertainment does not affect neighbouring streets.

However, you will need licensing permission if you:

  • want to sell alcohol
  • intend to provide entertainment to the wider public
  • intend to charge for your event.

In these instances you will need a Temporary Event Notice, which costs £21. Please get in touch with us and we will help you with this.

More information about temporary event notices

Serving food at street parties

You do not need a licence to sell food at a private party (unless you wanted to sell hot food and drink after 11pm).

You could consider asking neighbours to bring food to share with one another.

Tombola and raffles

If tombola or raffle tickets are sold on the day and prizes are not worth more than £500 in total, then it will be exempt from gambling regulations. If tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration. Contact us for more information.

Any proceeds from the tombola or raffle must go to a good cause such as a charity or towards covering the cost of the party. If you want to raise money for a good cause in another way, you could consider asking for donations from guests instead.

Insurance for street parties

We advise organisers to get insurance.

These websites provide more information about insurance for street parties:

Risk assessments for street parties

We don't insist on a risk plan for small street parties, but you might want to think about what could go wrong and have a back up plan, for example - what happens if it rains? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque, is there anything that could trip people up and so on?

Decorations at street parties

You can decorate your street for a party, but please ensure that any bunting is strung high enough to not obstruct any emergency vehicles that may need access.

Cleaning up after street parties

You will need to clean up after your own street party.

Let people know in advance what time the party will finish, and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Read a guide to organising street parties (Gov.UK)

Contact the Street Parties Team

The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
Woolwich SE18 6HQ