Noise complaints

Dealing with noise nuisance

Noise matters can usually be resolved by raising your concerns with the person or party causing the noise. Try talking to them before taking further action.

Talk to your noisy neighbour

Explain how their noise is affecting you and try to come to some agreement. An independent mediator could help you find a solution.

If you're in rented property, call your landlord

This is especially useful if you are a council or housing association tenant as they have strict policies on anti-social behaviour.

If the noise is from an entertainment venue

The Licensing Act 2003 gives residents the right to object to licence applications or ask for reviews of licences that are already in place.

How to report the problem straightaway

Call us on 020 8921 8921 if you are affected by unreasonable noise.

Lines are open at the following times:

  • Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
  • Sunday to Thursday: 7pm to 1am
  • Friday and Saturday: 7pm to 2am

It is important you call out our officers at the time the noise is affecting you so they can witness the noise, take notes and gather the evidence we need to take further action, including legal action.

If the problem is occurring outside the telephone line opening hours, or it is not happening right now, you can make a noise complaint online.

Report noise pollution online

We treat all noise complaints in the strictest confidence and will never disclose your details.

How to report a problem at any time

If the noise is not an immediate problem, you can make a noise complaint online.

Information to provide

Be sure to tell us:

  • The address of where the problem is coming from, if known
  • The nature of the problem
  • Your name, address, telephone number and email address

If you cannot give us the exact location of the noise disturbance, please give us the name of the road or block it is coming from.

What happens next

We will log your call on our complaints database and aim to write to both yourself and the alleged offender within two working days. Often this resolves the matter, and no further action is required.

If it is not resolved, we will arrange for one of our officers to witness the noise and take further action, including legal action, if required.