Benefits for primary and secondary school pupils
School clothing grants
The Royal Borough of Greenwich offers clothing grants to low-income families who live in Royal Greenwich and are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Jobseeker's Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the basic family element
- Working Tax Credit
- Pension Credit Guarantee if you also get Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the basic family and baby element
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
What help can I get?
There are four grants available that are paid when children reach certain ages. These are:
- at reception year (age four-and-a-half to five years) - value £40
- year three (age eight years) - value £40
- year seven (age 11 or secondary school transfer) - value £100
- year nine (age 14) - value £70.
These grants are either paid directly into a bank account or paid by a giro cheque that can be exchanged at a nominated post office.
Different rules apply to academies. Academies are state-maintained but independently run schools in England. They are not under local authority control. You need to speak to the academy to see what, if any financial assistance, they might offer.
Please note, not all academies have the word 'academy' in their name. If in doubt, please contact the school to check if it has academy status.