Published: Thursday, 19th September 2019
This week saw a brand new £28,000 sports surface and family area unveiled at Christchurch Primary School, in Shooters Hill, during a VIP-attended launch event.
The new sports and family area was made possible through a successful Greenwich Neighbourhood Growth Fund bid for £8,000, submitted by Christchurch Primary School. A further £8,500 funding was awarded through Section 106, and this was topped up with an extra £12,000, which was fundraised by the school.
Cllr Sizwe James, Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Growth, said: “This new sports ground will improve the delivery of sport to the pupils at Christchurch Primary School, whilst giving hundreds of other residents in Shooters Hill the opportunity to keep active, socialise and relax with their families outside school. It’s fantastic to be able to support young people in the local community with a new communal space that promotes a sociable, healthy lifestyle.”
The new sports surface will be used by 213 school pupils every day, with the ‘family space’ providing a seated area for quiet contemplation for students, during school time, and somewhere for families and young children to relax, while older children use the sports area outside of school hours.
The unveiling was attended by a number of key local figures, including:
- Cllr Danny Thorpe, Leader of the Royal Borough of Greenwich
- Cllr Jackie Smith, Cabinet Member for Children’s Services and Community Safety
- Cllr Miranda Williams, Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure and the Voluntary Sector
- Cllr Sizwe James, Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Growth
- Cllr Chris Kirby, Cabinet Member for Housing and Ward Cllr for Shooters Hill
- Cllr Sarah Merrill, Ward Cllr for Shooters Hill.