Benefits advice

The Welfare Rights Service advises Royal Greenwich residents about tax credits and benefits, including Universal Credit. 

You can find lots of advice and information on the benefits webpages, including factsheets on common issues and benefits. You can also use our online benefit calculator to check what you are entitled to. You can call us if you have any questions about the calculation.

If you would like to speak to an adviser, you can send us an online query or call us on one of our advice lines to speak to an adviser over the phone.

If you need advice or support about your entitlement, you can call:

  • 020 8921 6375 (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 10am to 1pm)

Or, if your query is specifically to do with managing your Universal Credit claim or you need help to complete an online form for benefits, contact our Universal Support Team on:

  • 0208 921 3333 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm)

We are experiencing a high volume of queries. If we cannot answer the phone, please leave a message and we will get back to you.

More information about Universal Credit

Emergency support scheme

We have amended the criteria to qualify for the emergency support scheme to take into account the COVID-19 situation. Changes include:

  • suspending the limit of three awards in a year
  • relaxing some of the restrictions for students and those with no recourse to public funds 

Cash payments via the emergency support scheme are being issued via post offices as normal.

Apply for the emergency support scheme or community support awards

Alternatively, contact our Community Hub who may be able to help with things like delivering food packages, picking up prescriptions and connecting you to local services.

Help with housing costs

Financial help towards housing costs and rent is provided through Universal Credit and Housing Benefit. 

Universal Credit has replaced Housing Benefit for most new claimants. However, there are some limited exceptions which may mean some new claimants are eligible for Housing Benefit.

Find out more about Housing Benefit

If you need to claim Universal Credit, any existing benefits you claim that have now been replaced by Universal Credit, for example, tax credits, will stop and you will not be able to reclaim them in future.

Some people are not better off claiming Universal Credit. Contact our Welfare Rights and Universal Support Team for advice if you need to check your position on 020 8921 3333 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm). 

More information about Universal Credit housing costs

Help with council tax 

Council Tax Support provides financial help for people on a low income. If you cannot get Council Tax Support (LCTS), there are other ways to reduce your council tax bill including a number of discounts and exemptions which you may qualify for depending on your circumstances.

Find out more about Council Tax Support and council tax discounts.

We are also providing additional financial support to working age LCTS claimants where there remains a shortfall towards their bill in 2021-22. Payments will be £150 for most eligible people, this payment will be made automatically to eligible residents.

Existing Housing Benefit and council tax support claimants

If you currently claim Housing Benefit, council tax support or both and your income has recently reduced, please report your change of circumstances through our online change in circumstances form. If you cannot use our online form, email

We are currently receiving a high number of requests and we will process these as soon as possible. You do not need to chase it up if you have submitted your change of circumstances form and received acknowledgement. 

Extra help with housing costs 

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit, or Universal Credit which includes the housing element, you may be able to apply for a discretionary housing payment


If you are concerned about someone you have seen sleeping rough, please use Street Link to send details to the local authority. This will help to connect them to local services that can support them. 

Integrated Employment and Advice Support Service

We have set up a new integrated service to support residents who have been economically impacted by COVID-19. The service can help you:

• access employment opportunities, apprenticeships, and placements
• gain new skills through training and development options
• to get advice from the Welfare Rights Service on benefits and better calculations based on job options
• with housing related queries
• get support for private sector tenants
• get support for people at risk of becoming homeless.

Find out more about the Integrated Employment and Advice Support Service.

Apply for help from the Integrated Employment and Advice Support Service 

For further information

We have created several factsheets with information and contact details of services that may be able to help with any financial concerns you might have during the pandemic.

Download the housing and financial concerns factsheet

Download the food and financial concerns factsheet

Download the are you experiencing hardship factsheet