Free cycle skills sessions
The Royal Borough of Greenwich offers free cycle skills sessions to anyone over the age of seven who lives, works or studies in the borough. You can book up to four hours for free, usually booked as two two-hour sessions.
Cycle Confident instructors are available 7 days a week throughout the year and run sessions during daylight hours at a time and place that suits you. If you’re under 16, you must be accompanied by an adult on your sessions.
We’re back! Thank you for being patient during the uncertainty of the coronavirus pandemic, we appreciate that many more of you will have wanted to start cycling and get the confidence and skills to make more journeys by bike. We’re now able to offer many of the same services again after receiving some funding from TfL, and even some new services too!
When you book your session, you’ll also get guidance from Cycle Confident’s guidance for safe working practices during COVID-19.
Find a cycle training location
Take a look at the map below to see where to start your session. We have three cycle skills hubs with bikes and equipment available to use free of charge for your session - shown with green pins, and several other starting points if you have your own bike already - shown with yellow pins:
What type of session do I need?
Sessions are structured based on what you would like to learn. You can choose from:
- Basic – to improve your bike handling skills off-road and progress to on-road training in a follow-on session
- Urban – to start making basic on-road journeys by bike in your local area
- Advanced – if you want more confidence on longer, more complex routes and journeys, and for route planning. You will need to have some experience riding in London traffic to do the advanced sessions.
Who can I train with?
- One-to-one – you and an instructor
- Pairs – you, a friend or family member, and an instructor
- Families – you, up to two family members and an instructor. For groups of four or more riding on the road, two instructors will be required
- Groups – please contact the Royal Borough of Greenwich cycling team to discuss
Fix and Ride
This is a new service for our residents during COVID-19. A mechanic can help get your bike roadworthy and do some basic route planning with you. This is ideal if you need your bike to get to work if you cannot work from home, if you have caring responsibilities or you still want to avoid public transport.
For booking and more information, please check out Cycle Confident’s Fix and Ride page.
TfL's online cycle skills course
TfL are offering four online cycle skills modules. When you've completed all four modules, TfL will send you a unique code for 15 per cent off Halfords own-brand cycle lights, locks or helmets.