Coronavirus COVID-19: Latest updates

Many council services are reduced or disrupted. Check our coronavirus page for the most up-to-date information. Read the latest and sign up for updates.

Home boarding for dogs

You must have a licence if you want to provide an overnight boarding service in your own home for other people's dogs, or intend to run a dog boarding franchise, and meet the licensing standards and conditions.

Please note: You need a different licence if you want to keep a boarding establishment for animals such as a kennel or cattery or a daytime dog day care service (dog creche).

Apply for a licence

The total fee payable is shown below. This amount consists of the initial administration fee payable with the application and the subsequent enforcement fee payable by credit/debit card prior to the issue of a licence.  


Total fee

Initial payment

Final payment









What happens next?

We'll send an officer to visit your premises. They'll check you're complying with the relevant legislation and our licence conditions.

If you pass the inspection, we'll issue you a licence. This licence is subject to the Government's standard conditions.