Coronavirus COVID-19: Latest updates

Many council services are reduced or disrupted. Check our coronavirus page for the most up-to-date information. Read the latest and sign up for updates.

Boarding animal licences for catteries and kennels

You must have a licence to run a cattery or kennels for cats or dogs, and meet the licensing standards and conditions for dogs and cats.

Please note: You need a different licence if you want to provide a boarding service in your home for other people's dogs (home boarding) or dog day care (dog creches).

Apply for a licence

The total fee payable is shown below. This amount consists of the initial administration fee payable with the application and the subsequent enforcement fee payable by credit/debit card prior to the issue of a licence. 

Type of licence

Total licence fee   

Initial payment  

Final payment  

New (single species cats or dogs)  




Renewal (single species cats or dogs)




New (combined cats & dogs)




Renewal (combined cats & dogs)




What happens next?

We'll send an officer to visit your premises. They'll check you're complying with the relevant legislation and our licence conditions.

If you pass the inspection, we'll issue you a licence. This licence is subject to the Government's standard conditions.