Coronavirus COVID-19: Latest updates

Many council services are reduced or disrupted. Check our coronavirus page for the most up-to-date information. Read the latest and sign up for updates.

There is support available if you need financial help to stay in education or training after 16.

The type of help available depends on your individual circumstances with the two main forms being:

  • the 16-19 Bursary Fund
  • the 16+ Oyster card

Check also if your school or college runs its own financial support scheme.

16-19 Bursary Fund

You may be able to get a bursary to help with education related costs if you're aged 16 to 19 and:

  • studying at school or college (not university) in England
  • on a training course, including unpaid work experience.

Find out more about the 16-19 Bursary Fund

You need to apply directly to your school, college or training provider for a bursary.

16+ Oyster card

You can get free travel on London buses and trams with a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard.

If you live in a London borough and were aged 18 on 31 August, you must prove that you're still in full time education to get free bus and tram travel.

Your school, college or training provider can confirm if your course qualifies as full time education.

Find out more about discounted travel on public transport

Talk to your school or the post 16 centre provider for more advice on financial support.