Hospital travel costs scheme

If you are receiving NHS treatment under the care of a consultant, you can get help with the necessary cost of travel to hospital.

Who can get help?

You can get help if you or your partner receive:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Pension Credit Guarantee
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit and have a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate.

If you need someone to travel with you for medical reasons, you can get their travel costs paid as well. Even if you do not get one of the above benefits you may still be able to get some help if you are on a low income.

You can also get this help if you are a war pensioner and the treatment is for your war disability - special rules apply so check the Veterans UK website.

How do I claim?

If you are attending Queen Elizabeth Hospital you can claim at the cashier's office. Remember to take proof of your benefit or your tax credit exemption certificate.

You are expected to use the cheapest form of transport that it is reasonable for you to use.

If you are attending other hospitals or clinics, ask there who deals with claims.

Travel schemes for disabled and older people

There are a number of travel and transport schemes for older people and people with mobility problems, including the Freedom Pass, Blue Badge and Motability Schemes.

Find out about travel schemes for older and disabled people

Other travel discounts

There are travel schemes available for war pensioners, people on jobs-related benefits, people looking for work and disabled people who are in work.