How to gain UK qualified teacher status

In order to teach in state maintained schools or most academies in England you need to have qualified teacher status (QTS), which is the professional qualification for teachers. 

Free Schools, including studio schools, university teaching colleges and technical academies, have additional freedoms and can appoint staff with alternative qualifications. 

There are regulations concerning who is allowed to teach in England. These regulations vary depending on the country where the overseas trained teacher gained their original qualification.

If you qualified to teach inside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who are recognised as qualified school teachers in another EEA member state may apply for qualified teacher status in England without the need to do further teacher training in England. You need to make an application for qualified teacher status to the National College for Training and Leadership.

If you qualified as a teacher outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

If you gained your teaching qualification in a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA), you must have your qualification assessed before seeking to obtain a teaching post.

You will need to contact the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC), which can provide comparability information for your qualifications.

You may be eligible to work in England as an unqualified teacher for up to four years, during which time you will need to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS).

Information on work permits

You can get more information on the National College for Teaching and Leadership website. This includes advice on eligibility to teach in the UK, important changes to work permits and visas, the Refugees into Teaching initiative and much more.

Applying for job vacancies

Once you have gained authority to teach in the UK, you can apply for teaching posts.

Work permits

The UK Border Agency website provides advice on work permits.