Coronavirus COVID-19: Latest updates

Check our coronavirus page for the most up-to-date information. Read the latest and sign up for updates.

Noise advice for pubs and clubs

Pubs and clubs can take measures to avoid annoying nuisance from entertainment noise.

How to avoid problems

  • Fit a noise-limiting device
  • Install secondary glazing or locking curtain windows, where windows point at residential neighbours
  • Lobbied entrances (double doors); external doors should be close-fitting to prevent noise from 'leaking out'
  • Mechanical ventilation, or even some air conditioning units, may become necessary
  • You may need to ensure the music will cut out if emergency exits are opened. Also ensure the place is ventilated so customers aren't tempted to open the emergency exits.

Pub gardens and other outdoor areas may also require restrictions in order to control noise.

For more information, download the 'Entertainment noise from pubs and clubs' leaflet.

Download the pub noise leaflet

Legal responsibilities

Entertainment venues that are providing amplified music or entertainment must apply for a public entertainment licence. The licensing team consults with noise pollution officers to ensure that the licence is appropriately assessed.

Noise pollution officers make regular visits to ensure that the licence conditions are adhered to. Under the Licensing Act 2003, residents can request a review of licence if they have solid grounds for complaint, such as when the venue is creating too much noise or mess.

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, noise pollution officers must take action to stop or prevent nuisance noise. If an abatement or prohibition notice is served, and subsequently contravened, the courts can impose a fine.

Report a noise nuisance