Where to go for advice

Seeking help if you're being abused can be hard.

You may feel there's nowhere to turn or that no-one will take you seriously. There is help available, however.

Get help

If the abuse is happening now and you think you're at immediate risk of harm, call 999.

If the abuse has already happened and you want to report it to the police, call 101 or visit the Metropolitan Police website.


Greenwich Domestic Violence and Abuse Services (GDVA) is the main source of help and information for people who live in the borough and are experiencing domestic abuse. Funded by the Royal Borough of Greenwich, GDVA can provide you with services including:

  • advice and support
  • refuge accommodation
  • child support.

Get help from GDVA

Her Centre

The Her Centre provides free and confidential advice for women. It also holds weekly drop-in sessions (One Stop Shop) every Friday from 10am to 12pm in Woolwich.

Find out more about the One Stop Shop

Other support


There are various housing options available depending on your individual circumstances.

Find out more about housing options for people experiencing domestic abuse

Legal and financial

For legal help, contact the Her Centre (One Stop Shop) or get a solicitor.

For financial help, contact the Welfare Rights service.


You may also find the following resources useful:

Support for specific groups

Young people

Visit the GDVA website for advice and help.

Read about abusive relationships, including real stories, on the Disrespect Nobody website.

For sexual health services, you can visit The Point in Woolwich.

Male victims

Men's help from GDVA

Call the Men's Advice Line

LGBT victims

Contact the LGBT anti-violence and abuse charity Metro.