Where to go for advice

Seeking support if you are being abused can be hard, and you may feel like there is nowhere to turn.

However, free and confidential help and support is available and you will be taken seriously. 

Get help from Greenwich Domestic Violence and Abuse service (GDVA)

Help and support services 

All forms of domestic abuse, non-physical and physical, from an intimate partner or a family member, are unacceptable.

Domestic abuse can happen to anyone - regardless of your gender, age, sexual orientation or ethnicity.

If the abuse is happening now and you think you're at immediate risk of harm, call 999.

If the abuse has already happened and you want to report it to the police, call 101 or visit the Metropolitan Police website.


Greenwich Domestic Violence and Abuse Services (GDVA) is the main source of free help and information for people who live in the borough and are experiencing domestic abuse. Funded by the Council, GDVA can provide you with services including:

  • advice and support
  • refuge accommodation
  • child support.

GDVA helpline: 020 8317 8273 or email: referrals_gdva@h4w.co.uk

Contact the GDVA referral advice line

Her Centre

The Her Centre provides free and confidential advice for women in areas such as health, legal advice, immigration or emergency housing. During the pandemic, the weekly drop-in sessions has been changed to phone sessions, between 10am and 12pm.

Her Centre contact: 020 3260 7772 or email: info@hercentre.org 

Find out more about the One Stop Shop

Support for male victims of domestic abuse

As well as getting support from the GDVA, male victims can also contact Men's Advice Line Respect's confidential phoneline on 0808 8010327, Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm.

Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones within the UK. Your call will not appear on itemised bills. You can also call free from BT pay phones. You can also email the advice line via info@mensadviceline.org.uk.

 If you are a man and are experiencing domestic abuse, you can also contact ManKind, the confidential helpline for male victims of domestic abuse, by calling 01823 33424 (weekdays, 10am to 4pm).

24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline

You can contact the National Domestic Abuse Helpline to access support over the phone 24-hours a day, for free and in confidence. Call 0808 2000 247

For more support, read the Survivor's Handbook.

Safeguarding children and young people 

Children and young people who are exposed to domestic abuse can experience negative short-term and long-term effects.

Safeguarding children and young people is everyone's responsibility and by law, professionals have a duty to promote and safeguard their welfare. 

If you are concerned about a child or young person's safety or wellbeing, contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH).

Contact the MASH referral team on 020 8921 3172. During out of office hours call 020 8854 8888 or email mash-referrals@royalgreenwich.gov.uk.

To raise your concerns, you can also email GDVA at referrals_gdva@h4w.co.uk or call the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.


There are various housing options available depending on your individual circumstances.

View housing options for people experiencing domestic violence

Legal and financial

For legal help, contact the Her Centre (One Stop Shop) or get a solicitor.

For financial help, contact the Welfare Rights service.

Sexual health support 

For sexual health support, there are a number of sexual health clinics across Greenwich that offer a free and confidential service. 

Find your nearest walk-in service

For young people aged 16-19, you can also visit the walk-in sexual health clinic at The Point in Woolwich. 

Immigration support 

You can contact Greenwich Migrant Hub for free advice and practical support, if you are a migrant, asylum seeker or refugee experiencing domestic abuse.

Greenwich Migrant Hub contact: 07429 031 389 or email: info@greenwichmigranthub.co.uk

More domestic violence support