Get help if you're homeless

If you're homeless or worried about becoming homeless, contact the Housing Inclusion team as soon as you can. You can often avoid becoming homeless if you act quickly and get the right help.

If you've seen somebody sleeping rough, report a rough sleeper (Street Link).

How the Royal Borough of Greenwich can help

Ways we can help prevent you from becoming homeless include:

  • providing you with temporary accommodation
  • helping you to avoid being evicted by a private landlord
  • negotiating with your lender if you're a homeowner
  • advising you on finding somewhere else to live.

Who can get help

We have legal duties to provide accommodation to some, but not all, homeless people. We'll carry out a homeless assessment to decide if we have a duty to help you.

Find out more about our homelessness enquiries and who we can help

Young and vulnerable people

We have specialist teams to provide housing support for young people and housing support for people who are considered vulnerable, for example, people who have physical or mental ill health issues, a history of substance misuse, or have come out of prison or care.

Private tenants and homeowners

If you're a private tenant or homeowner at risk of becoming homeless, our Housing Aid Centre may be able to help.

Look for somewhere to live

If you're homeless now or are likely to be homeless soon, you should look for alternative housing.

You can bid on Council and housing association homes in Royal Greenwich through the Greenwich Homes choice-based lettings scheme. You'll need to join the housing register.

However, there's a long wait for social housing so if you need somewhere to live now you must look at other options, particularly privately rented accommodation.

You may be able to get help through HACTRAC, a council-run scheme to help families find private rented accommodation and stop them becoming homeless.