Young people and care leavers

1st Base Housing Inclusion

1st Base, our young persons' homelessness prevention team aims to help young people stay safely at home wherever possible. The team provides advice and information to prevent young people from making unplanned moves from home and becoming homeless.

The 1st Base Housing Inclusion Officer will talk to you about your housing situation, any issues at home and about what help they can provide.

Things that 1st Base can help with include:

  • dealing with problems and arguments that are making life difficult for you at home
  • managing money, claiming benefits, and developing budgeting skills
  • registering with a doctor or getting help from substance misuse and counselling services
  • understanding education, training, or work opportunities.

If you cannot return home or have no home to return to, 1st Base will look at other options with you.

The assessment considers your needs for the future. If you're provided with accommodation by 1st Base or by Children's Services, it will be in a foster care placement, supported housing or lodgings.

Please note - council tenancies are never offered to a young person aged 16 or 17 who is homeless. You can join the Council's housing register at age 16 but will need to wait until you reach 18 before bidding for housing.

Help for young people over 18

Depending on your circumstances, you might be offered help with securing private rented housing or supported housing or lodgings. However, the Housing Benefit regulations restrict the amount of money that 18- to 35-year-olds (who are not care leavers) can claim towards their rent. So, your options will usually be limited to finding a room in shared housing.

If you need further advice and support, please get in touch with us

Care Leavers

If you are aged 18 to 21 and spent at least one night in care when you were aged 16 or 17, and you are threatened with homelessness or already homeless, the Housing inclusion Service can offer you advice and assistance. Children’s Services can also help you by providing Personal Advisor support and help with training and education.  

Housing help for care leavers aged 21 years and above 
Some older care leavers can get housing assistance from the Housing Inclusion Service if they qualify.  This includes those who: 

  • haven't had a stable home since they left care
  • have slept on the streets since leaving care
  • We can look carefully at your situation and see if you need housing support.