Active and former members of the Armed Forces

Active or former member of the Armed Forces?

If you're leaving the armed services or a former member, you may be entitled to extra help if you become homeless.

You should also be treated as needing support and in priority need for accommodation. This depends if you can show that your vulnerability is due to being a former member of the armed forces.

When deciding this, we may consider:

  • how long you were in the forces and what role you had
  • if you spent any time in a military hospital
  • if you were released from service on medical grounds (and have a medical history release form)
  • if you have had accommodation since leaving service and if you have been able to obtain or maintain accommodation since you left
  • how long it has been since you left military service

To help support your case, you may need to provide medical evidence from the MOD, including a Medical History Release Form (if you were given one). It can be hard to establish that you need support without relevant supporting information.

Contact us