Help and advice for tenants and homeowners

The Housing Inclusion Service can provide advice and help on how to resolve disputes with landlords or mortgage lenders, including problems with arrears, maintenance issues, harassment and illegal eviction.

We offer help and advice to:

  • private rented tenants
  • housing association tenants
  • homeowners with mortgage arrears and other problems.

Private and housing association tenants

Housing Inclusion Officers can give you advice on:

  • what to do if your landlord has served you with a notice or if you are facing eviction
  • your rights as a tenant and security of tenure
  • rents and claiming Housing Benefit. For example we can help you to:
    • negotiate an agreement to make payments towards rent arrears
    • resolve problems with your Housing Benefit claim
    • resolve disputes over your deposit
  • how to tackle disrepair - working with the Royal Borough's environmental health teams to ensure landlords carry out any repairs that are needed.


Housing Inclusion Officers can help if you are a homeowner who's having difficulty paying the mortgage. We can sometimes negotiate with lenders on your behalf and point you to the appropriate service for further assistance and advice.

You should contact the service as soon as there are problems, as the earlier negotiations start the more successful they are likely to be.

Harassment and eviction

If you believe your landlord is trying to force you out of your home, or is harassing you or your family, contact the Housing Inclusion service as soon as possible for advice and information. If you feel physically threatened, you should phone 999 and ask for the police.

Read more about the rules a landlord must follow on Gov.UK