Ask for permission

Under your tenancy agreement, you must ask in writing for our permission before making any alterations or improvements to your council home.

This includes drilling into surfaces, changing flooring and adding security cameras.

We won't refuse permission unless there's a good reason and we can give you advice on building regulations, planning permission and legal requirements.

You must make sure that any work you carry out conforms to conservation and building regulations.

Please note - if you carry out any work without our permission and we decide it's unsuitable, we may charge you for the cost of removing or repairing it. 

When we won't give permission

We won't give permission for lockable security gates or grilles as they can be a serious fire safety risk.

Contact us

Email us at or write to:

Housing Department
The Woolwich Centre
35 Wellington Street
London SE18 6HQ