As a council tenant with the Royal Borough of Greenwich, you must take good care of the interior of your home.

You're responsible for various repairs to your property including:

  • fixtures and fittings that you have installed, for example, curtain rails, showers
  • broken gate catches and repairs to garden sheds
  • cookers
  • light bulbs and fuses.

Read the housing repairs guide for the full list of your repair responsibilities (page 15-17).

This page is about repairs. Read our guidance on making alterations or improvements if you want to make an alteration or improvement to your property.

Greenwich handyperson service

If you're unable to carry out minor repairs yourself (for example, if you're over 65 or disabled), the Greenwich handyperson service may be able to do some minor repairs for you. Examples of minor repairs include fixing broken toilet seats and changing light bulbs.

Repairs you have to pay for

We may charge you for repairs to damage caused by your misuse or neglect, for example, if you lose your key or break a window. This is known as a rechargeable repair.

Find out more about rechargeable repairs

Repairs that the council is responsible for

The council is responsible for keeping the structure and exterior of your home in good repair. To understand more about the council's repair responsibilities, read the housing repairs guide (page 14).