Blue bin - mixed dry recycling
We collect mixed dry recycling from your blue-top bin, clear sack or large communal wheeled bin depending on your property type.
The recycling material goes to the materials recycling facility (MRF) in Nathan Way, Thamesmead, where it's separated and sent to re-processors for recycling.
Mixed dry recycling materials we collect
Wash out any containers that have food or liquid in them before you put them in the bin. Even a small amount of food waste can potentially ruin a large amount of recycling.
- food tins and drinks cans
- empty aerosol cans
- tinfoil and foil ready-meal containers (with food removed).
- cardboard boxes
- cardboard food packets
- greeting cards
- toilet roll and kitchen roll inserts
- food and drink cartons (with liquids removed).
- newspapers and magazines
- catalogues, telephone directories and paperback books
- envelopes and junk mail
- shredded paper (bagged).
- glass drinks bottles (clear and coloured)
- glass food jars and bottles.
- plastic bottles - emptied drinks, milk, shampoo and bleach bottles (squash them down)
- yoghurt pots, plastic ready-meal containers, margarine and ice-cream tubs, plastic fruit punnets and cling film (clean with food removed)
- supermarket carrier bags.
We provide clear sacks for your mixed dry recycling only. Don't use them for general household waste or garden waste.
Please don't put your mixed dry recycling in black waste sacks as our collection crews can't tell what's in them.