Register now to sail on a tall ship in September!
The Falmouth - Royal Greenwich Tall Ships Regatta is an exciting event that is open to anyone aged 16 years old or over. Organisations can also send groups. Sailing a tall ship is a fantastic team-building exercise, a parent-and-child adventure, or an opportunity to try sailing for the first time on board a magnificent vessel.
People with little or no experience of sailing can take part, or it may be a great opportunity to expand your sailing experience on board a tall ship.
Register your interest in joining a crew
Ships sailing from Falmouth to Royal Greenwich need crew! You can take part even if you have no previous sailing experience.
Full details of the programme are being confirmed in the run-up to the Regatta, so join the mailing list and be kept up to date with the latest opportunities:
We'll contact you with more information on the event and current availability of ships.
Thirty free places for local 16-to-25-year-olds!
The Royal Borough of Greenwich is delighted to be able to provide funding for 30 local young people to take part in the Falmouth - Royal Greenwich Tall Ships Regatta.
Are you aged between 16 and 25 years of age? Do you live in the Royal Borough of Greenwich? You are eligible for the funding!
We want to hear from you - so please:
- Register your interest in becoming a trainee crew member
- Then download and complete the Royal Greenwich Sail Trainee Award application form and return it to us to apply for the funding
The deadline to apply for a free place has been extended until Tuesday 22 April 2014.
Tall ship crew trainee programme
Sailing on a tall ship at sea promises to be an adventure. As a trainee you'll experience the joy of sailing a tall ship and be part of a fun team helping the ship to race from Falmouth to the Isle of Wight before cruising into London, where you will be welcomed by thousands of people lining the River Thames.
You'll feel a sense of achievement, make new friends and perhaps have ventured outside your comfort zone. Young trainees have found that taking part in this experience has helped them gain life and employment skills. It's definitely something worth adding to your CV!
- Read sail trainee Ruth Chapman's first-hand account of what it's like to crew a tall ship
- Read about Paul Bew's journey from sail trainee to tall ship skipper and sailing instructor
Each ship has a different daily rate, which we will be able to share with you when the ships confirm their costs. Currently, we estimate costs to be about £80 a day. This includes:
- your berth
- food and drink
- wet weather gear
- other safety equipment.
- 28 to 31 Aug (Thursday to Sunday): Shore-side activities in Falmouth
- 31 Aug to 3 Sep (Sunday to Wednesday): Race to Isle of Wight
- 3 to 5 Sep (Wednesday to Friday): Cruise in company to Royal Greenwich
- 5 to 9 Sep (Friday to Tuesday: Tall Ships Festival in Royal Greenwich
Further information for trainees
If you decide to take part in the Regatta you will be responsible for:
- booking and payment directly with your chosen tall ship
- organising and paying for all other travel arrangements, for example your journey to/from Royal Greenwich or Falmouth.