Tree-related problems

Report damaged or overgrown trees

Royal Greenwich is fortunate to be one of the most wooded boroughs in London. The Royal Borough recognises the benefits that trees bring to the local environment. We seek to protect existing trees and plant new ones for the benefit of future generations.

Tree pruning is carried out over a cycle which depends on the species of tree.

The Royal Borough also deals with reports of vandalism of trees and reports of trees obstructing the pavement.

To ensure that your report gets to the correct team, please contact the relevant team below according to where the tree is located.

Trees along streets

If you have a problem with trees growing close to roads, roundabouts, verges or on pavements, use our online reporting form:

Online form: Report a tree problem

Trees on council estates

If you have a problem with trees on council estates or in council communal areas:

Trees in parks

Please note that the Parks and Open Spaces team has responsibility only for trees in parks and cemeteries managed by the Royal Borough.

To report a problem or get more information about trees in the borough's parks and open spaces:

Request for a new tree

The Royal Borough has a limited tree-planting budget but runs an annual planting programme. Find out more:

  • for replacement trees in parks - call 020 8856 0100 or email
  • for replacement trees on streets - contact tree officer on 020 8854 8888.

Trees on private land

The Royal Borough does not undertake tree work for private residents. However, the Arboricultural Association website contains useful advice on trees and a list of approved tree consultants.

Find a tree care professional

Injuries caused by trees

If you have been injured by an overgrowing tree in a council property or public area, please contact the insurance team.

If the tree is privately owned, you will need to get in touch with the owner.

Contact Council Housing Repairs

Main number: 020 8921 8900

Emergency out-of-hours number: 020 8854 8888

Contact Parks and Open Spaces

For issues relating to council-managed parks and spaces. 24-hour emergency contact number: 020 8854 8888.

Oxleas Woods Centre,
Crown Woods Lane,
London SE18 3JA.

020 8856 0100

020 8319 1943

Contact a tree officer - Planning

Use these contact details if you wish to check trees in Conservation Areas or those protected by Tree Preservation Orders.

Planning Department,
Fifth Floor,
The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street, Woolwich,
London SE18 6HQ

020 8854 8888

Contact the Insurance team

Third floor, The Woolwich Centre,
Wellington Street,
London SE18 6HQ